Pet owners are on high alert after a dog became seriously ill after eating meat believed to be tainted with rat poison.
Robert Gemell’s Labrador Murphy was the latest victim of dog baiting after he ate a ball of meat filled with green pellets in Birchgrove, in Sydney’s inner west.
Mr Gemell realised his pup had been poisoned after he noticed Murphy was sick for two days and was lethargic.
Scroll down for video
A pet Labrador (pictured) became seriously ill after eating meat stuffed with green pellets believed to be rat poison
Authorities have been advised of the dog baiting incident but say tracking down who is responsible would be difficult.
Pet owners have been advised to remain on guard.
A written note has been stuck to a tree in the area, warning dog owners a meatball poisoned with rat pellets, was found at the bottom of the trunk.
‘It (dog baiting) sort of rips the guts out of everything, people don’t want to come into the park,’ dog walker Lenore Lynch told 7News.
Two other unrelated cases of dog poisoning occurred in mid September at another inner west suburb in Sydney and one in Queensland.
One Sydney woman was left in shock when her dog ate a meatball and had to be rushed to a vet, who confirmed her pet had eaten rat poison.
A written note was taped to a tree in Sydney’s inner west to warn dog owners of poisoned dog bait
Another Sydney woman was shocked to realise her dog had been poisoned after eating tainted meat
A vet has confirmed the green pellets stuffed inside balls of meat is rat poison
A Queensland dog owner was terrified after coming home to her dog’s mouth bleeding uncontrollably after he ate a strawberry stuffed with razor blades inside.
Vets have urged pet owners to bring their pet in immediately if they have been poisoned.
However, the symptoms of poisoning can take days until they are fully noticeable.
Doctor Manuela Trueby from Balmain Village Veterinary Clinic said symptoms of a dog being poisoned include lethargy, a lack of energy and internal bleeding.